Monday, March 13, 2006

Freedom from Religious Domination

In the past several years more legal issues have swirled around the "morality" of one law or another in either the courts or in the Congress. More energy and effort has been spent focusing on reinventing the laws to support a very strong influential evangelical Christian population. Too many laws exclude many non-Christians. Missouri has passed a resolution claiming that the nation was founded as a "Christian nation." This writer, who is non-Christian, has had evangelical Christians tell her that she can be her religion as long as she remembers that this country "is based on the teachings and truths of Jesus Christ." Not only was I offended, I was appalled that this even happened to me. Let's be honest: Yes, this country was founded based on religious liberty, but too often there are too many who believe they have to have an "in-your-face" approach to convert you to their beliefs, and I, for one, don't approve, nor do I want to be coerced or told I have to believe in your religion to be a good American citizen. Yes I do respect other's beliefs, but I want my rights, privileges and desires to express my personal faith to be equally honored and respected. Perhaps the constitutional amendment separating church from state needs to be clarified and reworded. Yes it is your right to believe in God, but it is also the rights of people to NOT believe in a divine creator or belong to an organized religion. The government has a solemn duty to uphold this, and if it cannot, then the Amendment needs to be made crystal clear in its wording that all persons are protected in their beliefs. I personally do not care how you believe--but for you to say the typical "I'm right-you're wrong" mentality and push into the law not only is arrogant but is insensitive to the minorities who do not share your enthusiasm. It is also frightening that this attitude is used to discriminate, cause hatred, and creates a less-free society in the United States. I am not an atheist, but who is to say that someone who is, has less concern and compassion for people or somehow would not be a law-abiding citizen. If the law clearly has a specific religious denomination's teaching in it, does that law violate the civil rights of those who do not believe their religion? Some things to think about.

No comments: